Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Be My eighbor: BLock 2

MIt’s week 2 of our Be My Neighbor Quilt Along. All of the Block 1 houses that I seen looked great, and all of them were so very different. I love that so many of you are striving to use up your stash with this quilt along. 
Today we will be doing Block 2. This block is a lot of fun but the center of the house can be a little tricky so I have a few different tips for you. 
S
S
First off I cut my squares for the triangles at 4” and 2.5” rather than the 8th measurements the patterns gives. I always do this as it’s easier to cut and gives me a little extra room to trim later on. Also instead of cutting them in half on the diagonal I left mine as squares, drew a line down the center and stitched a quarter inch away on each side than cut in half. This decreases a little how much stretching goes on. This combined with some starch provided me with some perfect points. 
For the center of the house I pressed all my seams open. This helped a lot to get the block to lay nice and flat without bunchy seams.  
S
This next tip is something I like to do whenever I make the stitch and flip flying geese like we do in this block. After trimming off the extra triangles I will stitch them together to get a half square triangle rather than more scraps. Than when I have enough I will put them together in a quilt or in this case I will keep them together and have them ready for another block in the quilt that uses HSTs. 
I cannot wait to see this weeks blocks, be sure to join our Facebook Group, or send me an email with photos of your blocks. My email is kayla@chickenfeedquilts.com
M
For a video tutorial that Esther did on half square triangles check out our Facebook Page. I will try to get the video posted on the gallery page for our Be My Neighbor QAL.

We will be closed this week Friday and Saturday, March 30 and 31 for Easter, and will reopen again on Monday, April 2. There will be no blog post on Friday either. 
Have a fantastic week. 
Kayla

 You can find the pattern for Block 2 by clicking here. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment