Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Be My Neighbor: Block 12


This weeks featured block is number 12. It is a narrow block that is quick and easy to sew up, and a great way to finish off the third row. That's right it is the last block in our third row, which means we only have one row left, just four houses!
S
I know that some of you are falling behind but hopefully with cooler temperatures around the corner you can set aside some time to work on houses and get caught up. Or sign up to join the PhD club which still has some spots available both during the week or on Saturdays, you can get an awful lot of sewing done in 6 uninterrupted hours ;)
I chose to do my Art Gallery Block using 4 different fabrics plus a background. For my Sherri and Chelsi block I decided to make the 9 patches scrappy and chose 9 different fabrics for that section of the house as well as a main house fabric, a roof and background. I must say that I love the look of this! If you are trying to use up scraps this is a great block for it, as the majority of the squares are cut 2".
S
At the end of the last row I had said that I would maybe lay my blocks out to see if I need to focus on adding less of one color and more of another, I never did do that, as half my blocks are hanging in the store and the other half are at my house. I guess I will hope for the best, and keep making my blocks week by week, and choosing fabrics based on what I like that day.
When I started this project back in March, I would rarely press seams open, for no reason other than I didn't really like to. Now I press seams open often, especially in smaller blocks that have a lot of seams in a small space, and my pressing stick is a great tool which makes it easier and helps to prevent flipping of other previous seams while I press. That combined with some flatter, and my wool pressing mat has resulted in blocks that lay really nice and flat with very little bulk.
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment