Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Be My Neighbor: Finishing

Our house blocks are finished and we now get to put them all together. If you did not trim your blocks to size as we went, make sure you do so before sewing them together, I loved using my Creative Grids 18.5" square for this, and there was only two that were larger than the square so it worked perfectly. Click here to see the suggested layout but feel free to move blocks around to suit your preferences. I liked the way my blocks looked so I followed the layout suggested.
S
SBefore cutting your sashing and border strips to the size listed in the pattern measure your rows and see what length they are, and cut your strips to that size instead. My rows were actually about a half inch linger than what the pattern states, likely because I use a scant quarter inch seam allowance. After cutting my strips to size I like to find the center of the row of the sashing or border strip and use wonder clips to clip out from the center to each end to avoid stretching the fabrics.  (The border and sashing size are located in the link above as well)
I must admit that while I was sewing my Art Gallery Blocks together I was panicking a little, I was really scared that it was going to be way to scrappy and random for my tastes. I went with a "quiet" sashing and border fabric to try tone down the quilt a little, and in the end I love it! I chose a soft grey cuddle to put on the back and have 4 colors picked out for a somewhat scrappy binding. I'm hoping to get it quilted in the next week so that I can get the binding on before I leave on my trip. 
S
I am absolutely thrilled with how my Sherri and Chelsi neighborhood turned out! I chose a navy from her newest fabric line Clover Hollow for the sashing and will also use it for the binding. I decided to do the border a different fabric and went with a green floral also from Clover Hollow. I have chosen ivory cuddle for the back of this one, and hope to have it finished as well before I leave.
I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of December 11, when we can see all these neighborhood quilts together in the same room. The party will begin at 7pm on Tuesday, December 11, in our classroom downstairs. We will have some snacks to munch on and do a little show and share, and knowing Esther a prize or two. Even if you have not completed your quilt we would love to see your work so far. You have 6 full weeks yet to work on it. 
I had so much fun doing this Quilt Along that I have started planning the next ones. I hope that you had fun too, and will join me on the next one that will start in January.
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment