Friday, May 24, 2019

Creative Grids: Stripology


As many of you know I absolutely love Creative Grids Rulers. The markings are very clear, and the non-slip grip built into the ruler is just right, I have tried others that are too grippy and they tend to stretch the fabric out. The Creative Grids slide smoothly across the fabric until pressure is applied. All the markings on the rulers are very accurate, and they have a great collection of rulers in the basic range, excellent trim tools for popular blocks and specialty rulers for some other fun blocks. There is also a video tutorial for each ruler that provides instructions on how to use it as well as some tips to go with it. At Chicken Feed Quilts we carry nearly all 128 of the Creative Grids Ruler, our goal is to have all of them but we do run out of stock on them occasionally, usually an event that we do, like Demo Days, or retreats that we attend.
With all this mind I have decided to run a blog series on my favorite Creative Grids Rulers, I will share what I love about them, patterns that accompany the ruler and links to video tutorials. The first one is the Stripology Ruler, a ruler that I love and use almost daily!
At Quilt Market last week, Esther and I attended a number of lectures, one of them was by Gudrun Erla of G.E. Designs. She is the designer of the Stripology Rulers for Creative Grids, and also has a line of patterns that utilize the rulers. There is now three rulers in the Stripology Collection, the original, the squared and the mini. Each ruler has slots for your rotary blade that make cutting for your projects, straight, accurate and quick.
I have two of the three rulers, the original and the mini. I generally use them for cutting strips from yardage, and if a quilt calls for a lot of squares or rectangles I will use them for that too. I can cut 8 strips of binding with the original Stripology without even moving the ruler and cutting squares goes incredibly quick. I keep my Original Stripology tucked under my cutting table, where it is easy to reach. It is definitely a ruler that you need to make a habit of grabbing and using, and the more you use it the more you will love it.
Aside from cutting strips and squares, you can make your own precuts, cut diamonds, square up blocks, trim Half Square Triangles, and subcut pieced strips and blocks.
Gurdrun has done up some tutorial videos to go with it, that are very informative on how to use the ruler. You can view them here, and I highly encourage you to do so, you will not regret it. She goes over how to fold and line up your fabrics, what type of rotary cutters to use, and what all the markings on the ruler are to be used for.
During the lecture last week we were shown several of the patterns by G.E. Designs, all of them were so neat, and using the Stripology Rulers make them so much easier. We have many of them in stock, and some of those that we do not have are on order and should be here in a couple weeks.
In her booth at Quilt Market, Gudrun had a mini quilt called Lil' Alberta made using Elizabeth Hartman's fabric collection, Arctic. I fell in love with it and have decided to make a lap size version of it using the same fabric and the Alberta Pattern.
Do you have any Stripology Rulers? Do you use them or do you forget to grab it when you are cutting for your quilt?
If you would like to see the Stripology Ruler in action come visit me at the store this coming Tuesday (May 28) sometime between 10am and 2:30pm and I will show you how it works, and answer any of the questions you may have regarding the ruler this also goes for those of you that already have the ruler and need a refresher on how to use it, or need to be inspired to pull it out more often.
Kayla
.






No comments:

Post a Comment