Thursday, October 1, 2020

Midnight Clear BOM Block 4

 We are already at block 4 of our Midnight Clear BOM. If you have been following along and staying caught up this means you should have half of your blocks finished now. 

I love the look of all our blocks so far. I think everytime I finish one I say "Ooh this is definitely my favourite block of this quilt. I love block 4. 

We are going to start with cutting our pieces. For my half square triangles I wanted a little bit more square up room, and I really do not like to cut 1/8's so I decided to round that measurement up to 3", these are cut from our background and our red fabric. For the rest I just cut the sizes exactly as are on the pattern. As I was cutting I realized we have had some extra fabric from all our blocks so far, as far as I can see this isn't used anywhere in our quilt, but I am saving all my extras just in case, and I might just make some pillows or a Christmas table runner for one of my sisters from my left overs. 

To make our half square triangles we draw a diagonal line across the back of our background square, line it right side up with our red square and sew a scant 1/4" on either side of the line. Then cut apart on our drawn line, and I used my 4-in-1 Half Square Triangle Tool to square up again. Since we need them to be 2 1/2" squares I used my 2" finished line on my trim tool. 
Set these aside for now. 
 
Now we need to do a lot of flip and stitch corners. It is very important to pay attention to the direction of your angle in these components of the blocks. I used my Folded Corner Clipper for these, but drawing the line across the diagonal and sewing on the line works well for these too.

Components

Now assemble these blocks as a nine-patch type block. 

Block 4
How are your blocks coming? Are you keeping up or are you just picking up your kits and stacking them up? I will be back on October 15 with Block 5. 



No comments:

Post a Comment