Thursday, January 7, 2021

Garden Sampler: Month One - Mint Block

 It seems crazy that we are already a week into January of 2021! With the beginning of a new year comes the start of new block of the month projects, and I am excited to make the Garden Sampler Quilt with you all. 

Since we are going to be working on this block of the month for quite some time, i reduced my stitch length to a 2.0 instead of a 2.5 to help my blocks keep their size better as this quilt is supposed to take us all year. 

As we begin this block of the month, I am cutting off a little piece of the selvage that coordinates to the fabric it is supposed to replace and gluing this sample into my book as pictured below. 

Let's begin block 1. I cut all my pieces and labeled with Alphabitties just to help me keep all my pieces straight, as some are very similar in size. 

I noticed that they ask us to cut all the pieces for the center 25 patch individually. For this I cut a strip of background, and my blues, and strip pieced these components rather than piecing all these little squares individually. 


 

For the stitch and flip corners I used my Creative Grids Folded Corner Clipper instead of drawing the line, then sewing on the line and trimming. Using this tool eliminates the step where you draw the line. With this tool you cut 1/4" from where you'd like to sew, then use this as your seam guide. 




My Components

This block is pieced in a 9 patch fashion.
 
My Mint Block


No comments:

Post a Comment