Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Staff Profile, Jenn

SSSSSHello Everyone, I’m Jennifer Giesbrecht. I moved to Coaldale after marrying my husband almost 13 years ago. I have one son, his name is Job and he’s 7-years-old. We live on a farm a couple miles from town. I’ve been working at the quilt shop for 11 years (I was hired on when it was Hopscotch Quilt Shop). I got the job when I mentioned that I was going to have to find work if I was going to continue this hobby. Asking me if I was serious, they soon after offered me a job. I only started quilting about a half a year before starting to work at the shop. 
My Mom is a quilter, and I mentioned to her that I would love to learn how. I bought a cheaper sewing machine, and McCalls Beginner Quilting book and started sewing different kinds of blocks-if I got stuck I’d call my Mom. I wanted to start quilting because I absolutely loved an antique Double Wedding Ring Quilt that has been passed down in our family. I loved all the different pieces, the story behind why it was called a double wedding ring quilt. 
I had tried many different hobby’s cross stitch, knitting, crochet, painting, drawing, scrapbooking, card making, stain glass making, embroidery, photography, gardening but none of them excite me as much as quilting-I’m happy knowing that my quilts will be passed down from generations and they will get to hear the stories behind my quilts. I love all aspects of quilting-picking fabrics (for others, and for myself)-my favourite fabric lines come from designers ‘Bonnie & Camille’ from Moda fabrics, I’ve also loved Kansas Trouble fabrics, but more recently I’m starting to be drawn into Art Gallery fabrics (so I guess I have very eclectic taste😉)-I even have a sample to cut out today with Batiks that Esther & I picked out-which if you know me, working with batiks is a stretch out of the box.
 I also just finished making my first bag-which is hanging at the shop. I love learning new aspects of quilting, I’m not a perfectionist, but I do enjoy becoming better. I love helping people understand a new technique, I like opening up patterns and explaining it. I’ve even pattern tested for ‘Sew Kind of Wonderful’-quick curve ruler a couple of times. Other than quilting, I’ve also sewn and sold over 600 dolls for over 5 years, but I’ve recently started to slow that business down-which is why you might have seen me more at the quilt shop lately.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment