Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Staff Profile: Tammy

Hello! My name is Tammy, I live in Taber with my husband and three children. We have twin sons in grade 6 and a daughter in grade 5. As a child, I always admired my grandmother’s skills as a quilter and I was determined to be a quilter someday.S
I took my first class when I was 17 and have been quilting and building my stash ever since. My first project was a wall hanging with hearts appliquéd on it. From there I made many puff quilts and then I took classes on samplers that helped me understand how blocks went together. Since then I’ve taken colour classes, art quilting classes and many different techniques because as I said before...I love everything about quilting. Last year I had the pleasure of making the cow collage by Laura Heine with Esther and Kayla. I must say that technique was a long way out of the box for me when we started but by the time we finished I was hooked. I am currently working on Seawell the Turtle  and have plans to make more of her patterns.

SWhen we moved to Taber 14 years ago I got a job at Cuddles Quilt Shop and I learned a great deal from Kathy there. From there I worked at Hopscotch Quilt Shop. I taught some classes at Chicken Feed Quilts when Deane owned the store but wasn’t really in the store a lot as I had 3 very young children at home so that took up my days. Now I work at Chicken Feed for Esther and it’s so fun to be there. As I keep saying...I’m learning all the time.

I love to take classes and try new things.
Quilting is my lifeline! It is a creative outlet for me that brings me great joy! If you ask my family they would say I’m a very happy person when I’m sewing. My daughter is now getting into it. She was thrilled when Esther approached her last year to make a sample for junior row by row and will make a couple more for this year.S

I wish I could tell you my favourite lines and techniques but the truth is that I love it all!! If I was forced to choose a favourite type of fabric it would probably be batiks. I love to work with them because of the movement in the fabric and the rich beautiful colours. You can sew a simple pattern, make a landscape scene or an art quilt with it and it all looks beautiful!

IS love to appreciate all the different things people do with fabric. Meeting people in the store and being able to talk about projects and ideas and be part of planning with them is so fun for me. Many of you have heard me say I love show and tell so feel free to bring your work in and show me anytime!
S
I have taught many classes over the years and have had the pleasure of meeting so many fun creative people. It’s funny to think that I’m the one teaching people things when the truth is that I have learned something new in every class I’ve taught and with every retreat I’ve attended. My favourite thing about teaching a class is that all of us set out to make the same project but they all turn out so differently. Everyone’s personality comes out in their fabric choices and it’s really fun to accomplish something together.

I’m grateful to work at Chicken Feed Quilts! We have great staff and great fun and I’m still learning things everyday!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment