Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Staff Profile: Laura

SSSSSSHello! I’m Laura and I work the occasional Saturday at Chicken Feed Quilts. I live in Lethbridge with my two cats, Serenity and Badger. They are big fans of my quilting hobby . . . binding to attack, fabric to lay on, notions to knock off the table and play with. And then of course the final product is great for sleeping on.
Esther introduced me to quilting 5ish years ago. She wanted to share her joy of quilting and invited a few people over on Thursday nights for sewing. One of my first projects was a lap quilt out of Kansas Troubles fabric. The pattern might have been a little challenging for a beginner (so many small squares! applique!) but Esther was great at encouraging me and I was hooked. It’s such a great feeling to create something that can be used and enjoyed.
5 quick things:
1. Current favourite block – Square on Square.
2. Trim rulers are amazing.
3. Notions – I want them all.
4. Fussy cutting makes my heart happy.
5. Fluffy cuddly backings are the best.
I love finding new projects, and my list keeps growing and growing . . . especially with quilt-a-longs. They seem so innocent at first because it’s just a block at a time. And then before you know it . . . so many blocks to do! Although I’m loving how they are teaching me new skills and forcing me to go outside of my comfort zone.
In between quilts I enjoy doing small projects. Pinterest has led me down some interesting paths. I’ve made a notion box from a quilting tutorial, a table topper off of a Russian blog (google translate led to a few laughs along the way), and pincushions. It’s also a great way for me to play with my new favourite fabric without committing to a quilt. There’s always so many great new lines coming into the store! I can’t pick a favourite, I want them all.
I’m starting to get into English Paper Piecing, hand sewing is incredibly relaxing. It’s a great way to keep my hands busy and still watch/listen to a show . . . and the hexie flowers are super cute! Plus it’s going to be a great way to used up some scraps.
SWorking at the store is such a pleasure. Seeing all the different ideas and plans is inspiring, and everyone is willing to show off their projects . . . show and tell is fun! Every project is so unique. Even if the pattern and fabric are the same, the final products are different. It’s a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment