Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Be My Neighbor: Block 9

We have reached Block 9 in our quilt. This is the first block in the third row and the beginning of the second half of our quilt along. 
S
At this point it is a great idea to lay out all the blocks you have made so far and see what colors and patterns are proving to be more dominant and if others need to be focused on more. 
Block 9 is a great house to do some playing around with colors. For example you can do the house all one color, the roof another and the bow tie blocks a third. You could do a couple colors for the roof sections or each layer of the house. Another option would be to use a couple colors for the bow ties or change the background of the bow tie blocks as Esther did in both of her blocks.
S
SWhen making my Sherri and Chelsi house I chose to do each bow tie a different color, and because the pattern gives cutting instructions for a single bow tie this was easy to do. I love the pops of color that result from this!
You may notice that Esther and I used the same fabric for our Art Gallery Blocks but used different placement. This was entirely coincidental as we sent pictures to each other after we were finished, though Esther did finish hers first and added more fabrics to the blocks than I did. 
When making the bow tie blocks I rotated every other block 180 degrees in order to have the seams nesting, and I pressed the seams between each one open, resulting in a nice flat row with great points. 
S
I am having such a great time making both my quilts, choosing fabrics and sewing up each house is a great way to feel like I have finished something and can check off my mental to do list every other week. 
And getting inspiration from everyone else’s blocks is amazing to. What are your favorite parts of this QAL so far?
Kayla
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment