Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Be My Neighbor: Block 11

We have come to Block 11 of our Quilt Along. This is the biggest block in the quilt, 21x18" finished. Block 11, is made up of 6 tiny houses which together make an adorable village. However it doesn't take very long to construct. Because all 6 houses are the same you can chain piece this block, yay! Besides for the chain piecing I switched up how I made my roof in this block.
S
Rather than doing each roof separate, I did them using the four flying geese from two squares method. I ended up with 2 extra flying geese, but I was ok with it. To do it from squares, I cut 2 squares 7.5" from my roof material and 2 squares 9" from my background fabric. Next step was to draw a line on the diagonal of the smaller square and than center it on top of the larger square right sides together, sew a 1/4" on each side of the line, trim on the drawn line and press it open. Afterwards I layered the two odd looking half square triangles right sides together with the seams running parallel but not touching, marked the diagonal across the seams, again sew a 1/4", trim and press open. I used my Ultimate Flying Geese Ruler from Creative Grids to Trim them to the perfect size.
I have heard many times in the past few months that fabric choosing seems to take the longest. I have to agree, and I tend to make several different color option piles before actually making the final decision. I also tend to use quite a bit of space to do so. 
This time around I did my Sherri and Chelsi block with 6 different colors of houses and stuck with the same roof and window on each, and I am thrilled with the outcome. For my Art Gallery Block I am thinking of doing 6 houses in the same color group each a different pattern, and doing the roofs and windows the same again to tie them all together.
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment