Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Staff Profile: Michelle

SSSSHi all, my name is Michelle Slomp. I am married to my sweetheart Gerald and together we have ten children. We are blessed. I grew up in Lethbridge, but now I call the Picture Butte area home. Gerald farms and there is always something going on at the farm.
As for myself, I have always had a love for all things crafty and artsy. I began quilting probably 20 or so years ago when my oldest son was just a baby. A friend of mine introduced me to this glorious hobby and I was hooked. I think my first quilt was a log cabin done in real “country colors” like the Kansas Trouble quilts. I enjoyed doing a lot of mini quilts in the beginning especially out of the book Little Quilts All Through the House, by Alice Berg, Mary Ellen Von Holt, and Sylvia Johnson. These are still some of my favourite quilts on my walls today.
Then four small boys come along and time for quilting had to be put on hold for some years. Hmmmm, I wonder why?? I would still go into quilt shops every once in a while to look and see what I was missing. Then, during these last couple years I started back up again. I pulled all my bins out and would make Christmas gifts for family or birthday presents for friends and I really missed it.
Quilting for me is so much more than sewing fabric together. It is therapy. It is relaxation. It is meditation. It is comfort. Quilting is my happy place. It is exactly where I want to be when I don't want to be anywhere else. Thankfully my family all fully support my love for quilting and they join me many times when I’m sewing. It is wonderful. I have recently purchased a long arm machine, so that is something else that is new and exciting to learn and play with. Oh the possibilities and projects ahead.
I feel blessed everyday to be able to have this creative outlet and a job that I can go to where we have a lot of fun together learning and helping others make beautiful projects. Quilting is life for so many people and we are all part of it together!
Blessing to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment