Friday, June 28, 2019

Summertime Quilting

Happy Friday, this week was the start of summer holidays in our house, and it has been great so far. I love having all the kids home all day, and we have been making it somewhat of a routine the we do chores in the morning and play in the afternoon. Yesterday we did double chores so we could have a fun day today, which turned out to be a picnic at a park and an afternoon in the pool at home and than dinner at Opa and Oma's house, and would you believe I totally forgot to bring my quilt along to take a photo of it there, oops!
With the business of the first week of holidays I have not done any sewing since last week Saturday (I mended a pillowcase for my sister on Wednesday, but in my mind that does not count.) This has been my longest non sewing streak in months, for some that may be normal, but I usually am at my machine for a couple hours every night but Sunday. This past week I just really didn't feel like it, and I had no pressing deadlines to meet either. I have always told myself that if I don't feel like quilting I am not going to, I don't want to turn my hobby into a job (even though it technically is my job.)  However after a week off I now have the itch to go quilt really bad, so I will definitely make time tomorrow to do some quilting. My brain is once again full of new projects and ideas, and there are a few quilt alongs and summer challenges that I want to participate in. I have done a few of the blocks for the Moda Bakeshop Quilt Along, and on Wednesday the first of six patterns for the Moda Summer Charm Swap was released. We also have our class reveal happening in mid-August and so I will need to get to work on the samples for those right away here. 
Even with the kids home, I still seem to get just as many projects done in the summer months as I do in the winter. In the summer I will often do a lot of my cutting outside on the patio table, as well as doing some hand binding in my deck chair, that way I can still watch the kids in the pool, and feel like I am accomplishing something at the same time. I have yet to pull my machine outside, but who knows maybe this summer it will happen.
I know some ladies who take their sewing machines camping, and even go on a camping/quilting retreat, I don't think I could convince my husband that my machine needs to come with me in the trailer this year, but I could bring a hand project to work on in the evening.
I am curious do you ever do any of your cutting or sewing outside? Has it ever even crossed your mind? Do you quilt more or less in the summer?
Kayla
 PS Carrie graduated from Grade 12 yesterday, she looked beautiful in a dress that suited her perfectly!



No comments:

Post a Comment