We are doing Block 7 this week. By the end of this month we will be halfway through our blocks. Esther and I thought we should give a little prize to everyone who has finished Blocks 1-8 before I post the information on Block 9 on July 3. Maybe this will give everyone that has fallen behind some incentive to catchup. We don't want this to end up as another unfinished project, this quilt is going to be one that gets finished by the end of this year! The prize will be one meter of cotton fabric of your choice from our store, but you have to post a picture of each block to our Facebook Group, or have evidence (a picture or the blocks themselves) at the till to qualify.
Now back to Block 7 before we get to far ahead of ourselves.
Block 7 has a neat pinwheel center in the house, and a another tree like the one in the first block. On my Art Gallery Block I left the tree all one color, on My Sherri and Chelsi Block I used three fabrics.
For the flying geese pinwheels I used the 4 at once no waste method. I didn't get any extra half square triangles to use later on, but it also means I had no extra pieces which if you are using up scraps this is a good way to go.
For this method follow these steps :
1. Cut 1- 5 3/4" square of the peak fabric, and 4- 3 1/8" squares of the house fabric to make one set of 4 Flying Geese.
2. Mark the four smaller squares diagonally on the wrong side.
3. Place the larger square rigth side up, and layer two smaller squares on top on opposite corners, right sides together. The two smaller squares will overlap some, and the lines should connect to give you one line to follow with your stitching.
4. Stitch a 1/4" on either side of the marked lines, than cut on the line and press open.
5. Place the resulting heart right side up, and layer a small square on top right sides together. Again sew a 1/4" on each side, cut on the marked line and press open.
6. Trim to 5" x 2 3/4", ensuring you leave a 1/4" seam allowance at your top point.
7. Repeat for the second heart.
This will give you 4 Flying Geese, so you will need to do steps 1-7 again with a second set of squares to get the 8 Geese you need for your Pinwheel Center. Scroll to the bottom of the post for pictures of each step.
A June Newsletter and a coupon were sent out today by Email, if you did not receive it check your junk folder.
In store we have lots of new samples hanging and new fabric as well so come for a visit to see it all.
Post a Comment