Thursday, May 6, 2021

Garden Sampler BOM: Month 5

 It is the beginning of May. That seems crazy, these months are flying by, and personally I hope they continue to do so. In my mind September can't come fast enough. 😂 I've been busy wedding planning, enjoying the warmer weather and off course doing a bit of waterskiing. With the warmer weather we have been having I'm sure everyone has been outside enjoying the weather, but it is time to pull out all of the block of the months and get those blocks done.

We are working on the fifth block of our Garden Sampler. This block was fun, and I tried a new technique which I would've avoided if it wasn't for this block. 

So for cutting I didn't like the way the pattern asked us to make the quarter square triangles, so I adjusted the cutting and rounded up to the nearest half inch. 


I then sewed 1/4" on either side of the center of my squares, cut, pressed, and put them on right sides together having a background triangle on each side. Then I sewed on either side of the center on both of these sets. 

I used my 4-in-1 HST tool to square these blocks. I pressed them open, then put the 2" marking through the center and trimmed, I then flipped my square, lined up all the 2" markings and trimmed again. 


To do the flip and stitch corners I didn't even use my Folded Corner Clipper, shocking I know. 
I lined my squares up on my rectangles and used my Diagonal seam tape, ensuring the corner of the squares followed the red line on the tape.


The petal component I constructed exactly as the pattern shows us, just make sure that quarter square triangle is flipped the right way when you begin. 


Since we have to start stitching 1/4" away from the edge of the center square to construct the block, I drew a line 1/4" away from the edge of all 4 sides, this helped me make sure I stopped at the right point.
These partial seams are the part where I normally would've looked at the pattern and put it away, but since it was just one block, and I need it for the quilt I figured I better try it, and it wasn't as scary as I thought.


My finished block is below, and I love how it turned out!


I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, and if the weather is looking like they forecast I hope everyone makes it into their sewing rooms for a little bit. 

I think we plan on going suit shopping for my fiance and my dad for the wedding so that will be exciting for us. 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment