Monday, August 9, 2021

The Bonnie and Camille Quilt Bee: Month 7

 Welcome to another month of our Bonnie and Camille Quilt Bee. While last month we had it quite easy with just 3 simple blocks all in the same pattern this month we have a little more work ahead of us. 

We need to make 4 different blocks, and they all vary in size which is fun. 

We need to make Flutter on page 104, Friendship Star on page 105, Good Times on page 106 and Happy Day on page 108. 


We haven't made many half square triangles yet during this quilt along, but this month there are some in every block. I used my 4-in-1 Half Square Triangle Ruler from Creative Grids to trim my units to the correct size each time. 

First up Flutter. This one came together fairly quick. I chose a print that I hadn't used much of yet. It only takes one print and the background so choosing the fabric didn't take as long as it normally does. 

As mentioned above I used the 4-in-1 ruler to trim the Half Square Triangle Units to the correct size. For this block I made them as directed, pressed to the dark, and than trimmed all 4 sides of the unit, using the guide lines on the ruler. 



Friendship Star. I love making Friendship Star blocks, they are definitely in the top 10 of my favorite blocks to make. I again used the 4-in-1 ruler to trim up my HST units, than assembled the block as directed. 


I like how for all the HST units the pattern instructs us to oversize the units to allow for trimming room, it definitely helps me with accuracy and getting nice points. 

Good Times. This block is a little more work. It is a large block and there is quite a few Half Square Triangles to make. 

I screwed up when making my block and had one HST facing the wrong direction in each Corner Unit. It was probably because I was making this block at 10:30 on a Saturday Night, needless to say I spent a lot of time unsewing those blocks and than sewing them back together correctly. Be sure to watch the orientation of each HST to avoid making the same mistake as I did. 

OOPS!

Another tip is to choose fabric that is not directional, I spent a lot of time making sure my prints would go in the same direction throughout the block, and it would have been a lot quicker to use a print that was not directional. Now if you really want to use a directional print and want all your pieces going the same way, mark your blocks as shown in the photo below. Than make the Half Square Triangles as directed, lay them out as shown on the top of page 107 and see what way you need your last unit to go than mark that block and sew it. I gave mine a good finger press so I wouldn't mess it up. (Don't sew your blocks as mine are pictured because that is where I made a mistake, the directional prints are correct, but my floral should be spun 180 degrees)




I sewed my four HSTs together into corner units but than assembled the block in rows rather than quadrants, I find it a little easier to press it flat this way. 


Happy Day. This block was fairly quick to make, just a few Half Square Triangles and nice big squares. For this block I trimmed my HSTs before pressing them. It is a little quicker this way, and you just need to line up the correct line on your seam. This block I assembled in rows as well, and I just pressed each row in an alternate direction so each of my seams nested nicely. 


Have fun making your blocks, and enjoy the rest of Summer. 



Kayla


No comments:

Post a Comment