Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Be My Neighbor: Block 6

How are you coming along on your Be My Neighbor Blocks. Have you been able to set time aside to make your block on time, or are you starting to fall behind? I procrastinated this week because of the wonderful weather Swe have been having, but I set an hour aside last night and one this morning to get them done. If you are having trouble finding time, schedule a little time just to quilt, even write it in on your calendar if you need to. 
SThis weeks house is quite large finishing up at 18' square. If you do the whole house in one color as I did you will need a full fat quarter for it. Esther did her house in two colors plus the roof, tiles and windows. Both ways look great. 
S
I starched my fabrics before I cut them this time around to avoid stretching those 24 2” squares. 
I also pressed the seams between each tile section open. I love my strip stick for this. It helps the seams lay open and you can press without any other seams interfering. 
S
Another way to get those seams to lay nice and flat is to use a Magic Pressing Mat. It is made with wool and it holds heat so when pressing it is as if you were pressing your block on both sides at one time. It is a nice size to place on your sewing table next to your machine, saving you a few trips to the ironing board. Esther absolutely loves hers.
S
We haven't been able to do much chain stitching in this quilt so far, but I did some in this block sewing the 6 square in square blocks. I love chain piecing and do it when ever I can, it saves on thread and time. 
Have you been making half square triangles with the flying geese trimmings? I have and I am getting quite the collection. I am not sure what I will do with them yet, they may make a nice cushion to match my quilt, or they would look cool incorporated into the backing of the quilt as well. 
Kayla 

No comments:

Post a Comment