Friday, November 2, 2018

Next Quilt Along

I had so much fun doing my Be My Neighbor Quilts during the Quilt Along here on the blog that I have decided to do another one or two starting in January.
I have gone through books and patterns and have narrowed it down to four different projects. I thought I would go over them all tonight, and get some feedback from you with which one you would want to join me in doing. 
S
The Gypsy Wife is a quilt pattern by Jen Kingwell that I have wanted to do for awhile now, but it keeps getting put onto the back burner. It is composed of 9 main blocks, some filler blocks, and has vertical strips of fabric that run through the quilt. Techniques for this include stitch and flip and some y-seams, which are not as scary as they sound. The pattern calls for a wide variety of fabrics, and would be a great stash buster. 
S
In the last Christmas post I shared a new desk calendar by Inspiring stitches. This one is a fun block of the month that is great for scraps. It is also a skill building quilt. 
S
SThe Moda All Stars All In A Row book is one that has been on my shelf, I think since it released, but I haven't made any of the rows yet. The books includes 24 row by row patterns created by 24 Moda Designers, as well as 9 rows to tie them all together. The rows are divided into three categories, Classic Patchwork, Well Seasoned and A Bit of Whimsy. I thought this one would be fun to choose a new row each month and make an individual seasonal project, or combine them all to make a fun quilt. This book would also work well to bust scraps.
The final project I chose is another one written by Moda Designers. This one is all Mini Quilts, and the book is called Mini Marvels. This book is a great way to learn new techniques and expand upon skills. The techniques included are traditional piecing, paper piecing, applique and even some embroidery. Because each project is mini, it is a good way to try a new technique without committing to a large project with a lot of fabric. 
The two Moda projects would be done one row or mini per month, the Inspiring Stitches would be a set of blocks each month, while the Gypsy Wife I would like to do every two weeks as I did with the Be My Neighbor Quilt. I will put a poll on our Facebook Page to vote for your choice of Quilt Along. 
I find that joining clubs or quilt alongs is a great way to jump out of your box, and try new fabric choices, and techniques that you would normally shy away from. And the encouragement, support and inspiration that comes with being a member of a group is incredible. 
My husband and I are off to Cirque Du Soleil this evening, and tomorrow I am teaching the November session of our Bag Club. Do you have any fun plans or is it a normal weekend for you?
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment