Monday, November 8, 2021

The Bonnie and Camille Quilt Bee: Month 10

 Welcome to another month of the Bonnie and Camille Quilt Bee. This month we are making the blocks in the Month 10 section. We have to make a total of 3 blocks, each one of them a different pattern. 

We will be making the Rainbow Block on page 119, the Sparkling Star Block on page 121 and the Spring Block on page 123.


Rainbow Block. This block is super fun to make and turns out so cute. Be sure to be careful when sewing the flip and stitch corners. You want to be sure your stitch lines go through each corner not to either side. This will help your fabric flip over nice and straight. To help with this start stitching on a scrap piece of fabric and continue on to your actually unit, this will help your corners not get eaten by the feed dogs and needle and will assist in getting your corner lined up neatly under the needle. 

Sparkling Star Block. This block is a little time consuming with quite a few little points. I used my Cat's Cradle Ruler from Creative Grids to make each of the units. With the tool I was able to just cut rectangles and squares and make the block without any triangles. It worked very well and my block turned out good. The ruler does make 2 units at a time and because I wanted 12 different fabrics in my quilt block just like the pattern I do have enough units to make another block. I am thinking I will make it into a mini to hang on the wall in my sewing room. 


If you follow the pattern instructions it may be helpful when sewing the A triangle onto the D side to sew with D on top so you can see your previous stitches and not cut that little point off of the triangle that is in the center of the unit. This block is a good one to use up some small pieces as you only need a little bit of 12 different fabrics.


Spring Block. This one was nice to make after the Sparkling Block. It was a little simpler even if there are a number of small squares. I followed the instructions for this block as they are written in the pattern. 

How are your blocks coming along? We only have one more set of blocks to make next month and than we get to assemble our quilt top! I am very excited to see all these blocks come together. 
Have a great week. There will be no blog posts for the next few weeks as I am leaving today for a long vacation with my family which we are all very excited for!
Kayla









No comments:

Post a Comment